A scan of an original photograph of a Polish Windmill taken by a German soldier during the invasion of Poland in late 1939. Exact location unknown.
A lovely image of children playing in a model windmill in a garden somewhere in England. Note the Dutch-style costumes. Any comments regarding the location of this play windmill much appreciated!
A scan of an old negative in our collection of a windmill driving a Sugar Mill in Barbados, c.1910.
Ruffle’s Windmill in Haverhill was built in 1797 and converted to a eight-spoke circular sail in around 1861. Although this form of sail was used in France it is believed to be the only mill with a circular sail ever used in the British Isles. Unfortunately the mill was demolished during the Second World War as it was thought that it might be used as a landmark by enemy aircraft.
A photograph of what was left of the Weare Tower Mill in Weare / Stone Allerton, Somerset, c.1910. Shortly after this photograph was taken the mill was converted into a private dwelling house and remains such today. Legend tells of a horse rider being thrown from his horse and killed after it was frightened by the whirling sound of the sails. The mill was last worked in 1880.
Compare this with a recent photograph of the same Allerton mill with attached house (taken from the opposite direction).
A short film of National Trust workers turning the sails at the usually static Stembridge Tower Mill in High Ham. The sails are turned manually every four months to ensure even wear on the mechanism and to prevent anything seizing up.
At the end of the 19th century many mills all over Europe were converted from wind power to steam.
Here is a typically sized mill steam engine on a postcard from France, c.1907.
Stembridge Tower Mill in High Ham, near Langport, Somerset, is now to be open to the public on the first and third Sunday of each month. 1pm to 4pm. Tickets, which include the admission to the interior of the mill, are priced at £4 for adults, £2 for children. National Trust members get free admittance. These open afternoons are led by the archaeologist, historian and current tenant custodian Simon Haines. He and his assistants will be on hand to answer any questions related to the history of the mill.
The mill grounds are closed to the public at all other times.
More about Stembridge Tower Mill.
The National Trust opened the interior of Stembridge Tower Mill to visitors for the first time this year today. Here’s a photograph taken around 4pm. One of the custodians can be seen seated at the table in front of the mill, greeting visitors, checking membership passes, and selling tickets to non-members. Two jackdaw nests could be seen up under the roof and parent birds coming and going.