A photograph of what remains of Czechów Wiatrak as seen as from the ancient access track up to the mill.
Czechów Wiatrak is the ruined remains of a mid nineteenth century tower mill located on a hill just off the road between the villages of Czechów (former: Zechow) and Santok (former: Zantoch), near Gorzów, in Lubuskie, western Poland.
Another view of the exterior of the tower mill near Czeckow (German: Zechow), in western Poland.
This Dutch-style tower mill consisted of three floors and had three entrance doors. It was most likely built sometime in the 1840s and probably went out of use immediately after the end of the Second World War, when this part of what was then Germany became part of Poland.
A ground floor view of the interior of the windmill on a hill overlooking the beautiful Warta (Warthe) River.
The beamed ceilings and floors, roof, interior workings, and sails of the windmill have long since disappeared and all that now remains is the brick-built tower, which stands at approximately nine metres high. During the communist period and after the interior walls were used by mountaineers in preparation for climbs in the Alps and Himalayas.
A photograph of the interior of the mill showing where the first and second floors would have been.
All photographs by and copyright of Ania Ratajczak for windmills dot org dot uk.
A pre-war photograph of the windmill (wiatrak) just outside the village of Czechów (Zechow) in Lubuskie, Poland.
A photograph of the windmill in Grottkau, now Grodkow, Upper Silesia, Poland, c.1925.
Two old images of the early eighteenth century windmill in Grodków, Silesia, in the southwest of Poland. The mill is of the ‘Dutch-type’ and went out of use just after the end of the First World War. It was restored in 1958 and then again in the 1970s and converted into a cafe restaurant. Due to safety reasons the sails were removed in the late 1980s but should you wish to visit today while admiring the mill you’ll discover that all manner of Polish cuisine and a selection of beers can be sampled at very reasonable prices.
The mill in Grottkau / Grodkow, Silesia, Poland, as it looked in the 1930s.
A scan of an original photograph of a Polish Windmill taken by a German soldier during the invasion of Poland in late 1939. Exact location unknown.
A German soldier posing near an unidentified windmill near Lublin, Poland, in 1940.
This month we have three old images of the ten or so windmills, which could once be found in the town of Rawitsch / Rawicz, of what is now Poland. At the time the photographs were taken the area was part of Prussia, Germany. Unfortunately, all the mills in the area are now no more.
A super looking windmill in Jakobsdorf (Jakubkowice), Silesia, c.1930. Click to enlarge image.
Today’s scan from our picture archive dates back to 1930 and features a windmill and farmworkers in the village of Jakobsdorf, in what was Silesia, Germany. In 1945, Jakobsdorf, was renamed Jakubkowice and became part of Poland. Alas, the windmill itself has long since disappeared.
A postcard mailed in 1930 of one of two mills in the small town of Vietz, Germany, now, Witnica, Poland.
The mill in Vietz, East Brandenburg, Germany. Since 1945, Witnica, Lubuskie, Poland.
This month we are in Poland visiting windmills and researching material for a new book on windmills in central and eastern Europe. Here’s just one example of the super mills still to be found in this part of the world.
This mill originates from 1705, updated in 1879, and continued to work commercially until the 1930s.
This mill is ripe for restoration. Sadly it might otherwise fall down very soon!