A vintage picture postcard of the smock mill in Woodchurch, Kent, c.1925.
Although, a mill stood at least from at least 1729, the smock mill, we can see in Woodchurch, near Ashford, in Kent, south-east England is believed to date back to the early ninetenth century. Indeed up until 1940 there were two mills on the site and these twin mills were known as the black (or upper) mill and the white (or lower) mill. The white mill that still exists to this day continued to grind corn commercially up until 1926 and over a great many years has been restored to near working condition.
Woodchurch Mill is an eight-sided, four-storey smock mill built on a single-storey brick base. It has a Kentish-style cap and is winded by a fantail. The mill once drove three pairs of millstones and was used for grinding corn.
An aerial photograph of Woodchurch smock mill in 1952.
The mill is now owned by Ashford Borough Council and is currently open on Sundays and Bank Holidays between Easter and the end of September, from 2pm to 5pm.
The white smock mill in Woodchurch in its fully restored state. One source dates this mill to 1820.
Meeten’s Mill as it is known locally is an eighteenth century eight-sided smock mill with a boat-shaped cap. It is thought to date to 1840 and using three pairs of millstones originally milled corn for local farmers. The mill was working until 1922, when it was stripped of machinery and converted into a house. It is located in the village of West Chiltington in West Sussex. England.
A photograph of the smock mill in Chiltington, near Horsham in Sussex, southeast England in the 1920s.
An early photograph of Wangford Windmill close to the Suffolk coast as it looked in around 1910.
The six story smock windmill in Wangford, near Southwold, Suffolk, was built in 1883. It stood at a height of more than 21 metres and had four 8 metre sweeps. It was owned by the Earl of Stradbroke and worked for many years by a family named Martin. It was powered in its later years by both wind and steam and in commercial use right up until it burnt down in August 1928. Unfortunately, nothing of the mill survives.
An old picture postcard recording the fire at the smock mill in Wangford on the 7th August 1928.
In addition to the tower mill a post mill, built in 1801, also played an active role in the economy of the village of Wangford. This was damaged in a storm and dismantled in 1901.
If you know anything more about either the post mill or tower mill in Wangford or have additional images do get in contact.